The Pitchandikulam Forest Virtual Herbarium was started in 2014, as a project of Pitchandikulam Forest, an environmental organisation and community based in the green belt of Auroville. In 2019 the Auroville Botanical Gardens built a dedicated space to host a new physical herbarium that was previously housed in Shakti Nursery, Auroville. As part of this consolidation of plant specimens, the Virtual Herbarium was transferred in 2020 to the Auroville Botanical Gardens, and was renamed the Auroville Virtual Herbarium to reflect this broader collaboration. The Auroville Team will continue to add plant specimens to the Virtual Herbarium, both from the plant collections in Auroville, and from the forests of the bioregion.
For more information see:
Original concept, botanical work and design done by Pitchandikulam Forest: Irène Bouguerra & Nicolas Lagarrigue. Special thanks to: Joss Brooks, M Anbarashan, Bérengère Bérieau, Rishi Walker, and Daniela Boban
Current botanical work and design by Auroville Botanical Gardens: Neil Meikleham, Marie Demont, Paul Blanchflower, A. Sivasankaran
Current website development: Luk Gastmans & Quentin Descosne.
Auroville Virtual Herbarium is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at http://www.aurovilleherbarium.org.
You are free to :
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
Under the following terms :
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.